All For You

There is a cross made of palm leaves that hangs on the rearview mirror in the front seat area of my car. Last Sunday was Palm Sunday, and to the naked eye there is nothing out of place about this “Palm cross” as it hangs there on a palm string. Any Christian who went to church on Palm Sunday might have one; anyone who is sentimental and/or artistically inclined might make one. But there are two things particularly different about this Palm Cross. The first is that it reinforced to me just how God can use the most unnoticeable things to speak to those who eagerly seek his voice. Secondly, God will use this cross that hangs on the rearview mirror in the front seat area of my car to speak to you today.
Now the first thing you might notice about this Palm cross if you look closely is that it hangs facing the passengers’ side of my car. Being that I am the primary driver of my vehicle it hangs facing away from me. Nothing out of the ordinary, as objects usually hang facing one way or the other, but the first time that I hung the cross in my car I wanted it to face me!
We humans are self centered by nature, and in my selfishness I hung the cross on my rearview mirror so that I could see the holy cross facing my direction as I drive. And so when this cross automatically faced the passengers’ side of the vehicle, this did not sit well with me as I tried again and again to make it face me. I would turn the cross to face my direction, but as soon as I would let go, the string would unwind itself and start facing the other way. Where a passenger, or someone sitting next to me would be. It was at this moment that God spoke to me with this object, and through this childish need I longed to fulfill.
God filled my heart with the realization that he is already with me regardless of what side this palm cross is facing. He made me realize his intentions for making that cross face whomever would be sitting next to me: Because I am called to “Show” my neighbor, or whomever is next to me the cross. We who believe do not need to be exposed to the truth about the cross as much as we need to share it with the world. And so while my “me-first” attitude demanded that I be the one whom the cross was facing, Jesus was telling me that he has called me to make the cross face others. Jesus did not come to this world for those who were already saved, but he came to save the sinner.
The potency of this message never wanes nor wants for zest, however for some reason attention to it is intensified during Easter season. A friend of mine told me that for her, Easter is a very powerful time. That Easter is more about reflection than it is about celebration. Yes we must celebrate the risen Christ, but celebration in the world today can easily make one lose sight of the reason for the celebration (Like the guy at the party who doesn’t know the host or celebrant but surely knows he is having more fun than anyone else!). You even have people who celebrate for celebrations sake! But it is in a pure sober-reflection that we may come to deeply know exactly what Jesus did for us. That we may come to see that though we can never atone for the price he paid for us, it is our duty nevertheless, to live a life of atonement for that which we will never atone.
Now imagine this….
So there you are in the struggle of your life. You are facing the most physically excruciating, emotionally heart wrenching experience of your life. It is a matter of life and death. Your wounds are painful, your blood is dripping, your life is slowly fading away. All of a sudden you look up and see a loved one that can save you! It could be your mother, your father, brother or sister, husband or wife, son or daughter! You just know that this one can save you. Amidst your pain and suffering they look at you and look away as your suffering continues. And Jesus cried “Eli! Eli! Lama sabachthani?”. “My God! My God! Why hast thou forsaken me?”
My brothers and sisters, the analogy above does not even begin to capture the agony of Jesus upon the cross. No it is a very faulty analogy, but I know it serves Gods purpose. It is faulty because it does not include the fact that Jesus indeed could have saved himself but bore it all for us.
When we think about what Christ did for us on the cross, we often think about the physical pains that he endured. After all, is crucifixion not one of the most agonizingly painful methods of capital punishment ever devised by man? But this does not even begin to scratch the surface of what my lord Jesus Christ endured. We cannot know all that he endured, but we can know that it was much more than physical pains. And I am here to tell you this: It was all for you!
Now the first thing you might notice about this Palm cross if you look closely is that it hangs facing the passengers’ side of my car. Being that I am the primary driver of my vehicle it hangs facing away from me. Nothing out of the ordinary, as objects usually hang facing one way or the other, but the first time that I hung the cross in my car I wanted it to face me!
We humans are self centered by nature, and in my selfishness I hung the cross on my rearview mirror so that I could see the holy cross facing my direction as I drive. And so when this cross automatically faced the passengers’ side of the vehicle, this did not sit well with me as I tried again and again to make it face me. I would turn the cross to face my direction, but as soon as I would let go, the string would unwind itself and start facing the other way. Where a passenger, or someone sitting next to me would be. It was at this moment that God spoke to me with this object, and through this childish need I longed to fulfill.
God filled my heart with the realization that he is already with me regardless of what side this palm cross is facing. He made me realize his intentions for making that cross face whomever would be sitting next to me: Because I am called to “Show” my neighbor, or whomever is next to me the cross. We who believe do not need to be exposed to the truth about the cross as much as we need to share it with the world. And so while my “me-first” attitude demanded that I be the one whom the cross was facing, Jesus was telling me that he has called me to make the cross face others. Jesus did not come to this world for those who were already saved, but he came to save the sinner.
The potency of this message never wanes nor wants for zest, however for some reason attention to it is intensified during Easter season. A friend of mine told me that for her, Easter is a very powerful time. That Easter is more about reflection than it is about celebration. Yes we must celebrate the risen Christ, but celebration in the world today can easily make one lose sight of the reason for the celebration (Like the guy at the party who doesn’t know the host or celebrant but surely knows he is having more fun than anyone else!). You even have people who celebrate for celebrations sake! But it is in a pure sober-reflection that we may come to deeply know exactly what Jesus did for us. That we may come to see that though we can never atone for the price he paid for us, it is our duty nevertheless, to live a life of atonement for that which we will never atone.
Now imagine this….
So there you are in the struggle of your life. You are facing the most physically excruciating, emotionally heart wrenching experience of your life. It is a matter of life and death. Your wounds are painful, your blood is dripping, your life is slowly fading away. All of a sudden you look up and see a loved one that can save you! It could be your mother, your father, brother or sister, husband or wife, son or daughter! You just know that this one can save you. Amidst your pain and suffering they look at you and look away as your suffering continues. And Jesus cried “Eli! Eli! Lama sabachthani?”. “My God! My God! Why hast thou forsaken me?”
My brothers and sisters, the analogy above does not even begin to capture the agony of Jesus upon the cross. No it is a very faulty analogy, but I know it serves Gods purpose. It is faulty because it does not include the fact that Jesus indeed could have saved himself but bore it all for us.
When we think about what Christ did for us on the cross, we often think about the physical pains that he endured. After all, is crucifixion not one of the most agonizingly painful methods of capital punishment ever devised by man? But this does not even begin to scratch the surface of what my lord Jesus Christ endured. We cannot know all that he endured, but we can know that it was much more than physical pains. And I am here to tell you this: It was all for you!
Why is it that we humans do not realize just how weak and worthless we are? Has the fact that bible tells us that we were created in Gods image gone to our heads? Is the truth about our humanity blunted by the beauty, intelligence, drive and other great human qualities we see in each other? The truth of the matter is that we as humans are weak, fragile and have fallen from a grace that we were created for. We are no where near where we are supposed to be, and that is why God sent Jesus Christ to die for our sins that we might be redeemed; that we might begin the long trek back to heights from which we fell. In order to accomplish this, Jesus had to take upon his shoulders the sins of the world.
“For God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” 2nd Corinthians Chapter 5 verse 21.
Our lord Jesus had to live as a man, taking on the indignity of sin, the temerity of the devil to presume to tempt him, the contempt of men; bearing it all with the humility of a lamb that he might in the end physically suffer and shed his own blood for our sins. Wow.
Do you know who Jesus is? John Chapter 1 verses 1 to 3 give us a clear picture. “In the beginning was the word (Jesus), and the word (Jesus) was with God, and the word (Jesus) was God. He (Jesus) was with God in the beginning. Through him (Jesus) all things were made; without him (Jesus) nothing was made that has been made.”
When I read this passage, replacing “word” with “Jesus” because Jesus IS the word made flesh, I am left speechless. This is the same one who took on so much for me. This same Jesus that tells me in John Chapter 15 verse 18 “If the world hates you, know that it hated me first”.
The emotional and mental pains he experienced continued when as he prayed in the mount of olives he said in Luke 22 verse 42 “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done” The bible says that “An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground” Verses 43 and 44.
And in the book of John Chapter 17, we see Jesus praying for himself, his disciples and for we who would come to believe in him. Jesus prayed fervently. As we see above, the bible says “Being in anguish he prayed more earnestly!” Jesus used his pain and suffering, his anguish to not only save us, but to show us how to live a “saved” life. He teaches us the importance of prayer.
So as we return to Jesus on the cross, we can see that yes he bore physical pains, the likes of which many will never know, but how much more the anguish, the burdens, the insults, and the heartbreak he bore for us all. The preacher on Palm Sunday made me realize the bravery of Jesus as he road a donkey into Jerusalem. Everyone waved at him with Palms, but he knew he was going to his death, yet he went triumphantly to do it for you and for me. Let us realize this down to the depths of our hearts.
My friends I would like conclude with the fact that he shed his blood for us.
The shedding of blood has always been the way through which sins are atoned, as we can see from the sacrifice of animals in the Old Testament.
Blood is sacred.
In the book of Genesis God said to Cain “Where is your brother Abel?” “I don’t know,” Cain replied. “Am I my brothers keeper?”. The Lord said, “What have you done? Listen! Your brothers blood cried out to me from the ground.”
My brothers and sisters, I would like to end by telling you that blood has a voice of its own; your blood, my blood, the blood of animals. But the precious blood of Jesus is the blood above all bloods. The only blood through which we can be saved; and he shed this blood for us. Do not let this blood go to waste in your life.
I have written 3 prayers titled Prayer A, Prayer B, & Prayer C.
Prayer A is for those who have not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior. Prayer B is for those who have but somewhere along the line have not lived up to their calling, and Prayer C is for those who are in Christ. Please say each according to where you find yourself today.
Prayer A: Jesus I accept you into my life today. I proclaim that you are the son of God, and you died for my sins. Come into my life and lead me to your salvation.
Prayer B: Jesus I have fallen short of the standard to which you called me. I have not served you as I should. Fill me with your spirit and let me be your faithful servant from this day forward.
Prayer C: Jesus I am yours forever. May I never depart from your way; rather let me bring more souls to the knowledge of the cross, for there is nothing better to do with my life.
My friends, congratulations! If you have said “Prayer A” you have just said the most significant words you will ever say! Please feel free to email me at redundancy99@yahoo.com You will need encouragement as you begin your wonderful new life in Christ. If you said “Prayer B” I urge you to live up to the person that God has called you to be. Email me as well if you need encouragement. And if you have said “Prayer C”, I pray that God continues to keep you in his love and his mercy.
You all are my brothers and sisters in Christ. Remain in his blessings now and forevermore. Amen!
Christ For the world we sing!
The world to Christ we bring!
In fervent prayer…
1 Comments:
Lord Jesus, My Jesus...
The revelation of the middle bread is indeed amazing! After all Jesus did for us, he still humbles himself and gently tugs at our hearts. I am floored that He is "My Jesus." It is a blessing to be able to say that Wendu...He is my Jesus, He is your Jesus. He is Jesus to anyone who wants a piece (which somehow translates to all) of him.
Awesome revelation!
Post a Comment
<< Home