Tuesday, October 30, 2007

My Cup Overflows


"Thou annointed my head with oil, my cup overflows" - A Psalm of David unto the lord

There is a song I love to sing and it goes:

Fill my cup lord; I lift it up lord
Come and quench the thirsting of my soul
Bread of heaven, fill me till I want no more
Fill my cup; fill me lord and make me whole.


I love this song because the one who sings it comes to the lord simply asking to be filled with the spirit of God. This one tells the lord that their soul is thirsty and only he can quench that thirst. “Bread of heaven!” They cry, “Fill me till I want no more”. The verse is ended by an acknowledgement that they can only be made whole when they are filled by the spirit of God.

In one of the most famous Psalms (23), David says to the lord “Thou anointed my head with oil, my cup overflows”. What is this cup? The cup is his life, his soul, his spirit. When he is filled by the anointing of the blessed spirit of God-an anointing that was physically performed upon his head by the prophet Samuel using olive oil, but was spiritually manifested by the spirit of God-his cup begins to overflow.

My cup overflows. It is this overflow that I am moved to speak of at this time.
Where does it come from? The love that fills my heart, my desire to share the message of Christ as it is revealed to me, my care for the spiritual health of so many people…It comes from the lord, and his spirit is the means by which he accomplishes this in my life.

I began to understand the deeper meanings of this when I pondered the portion of the bible that asks us to “Comfort each other with the comfort with which we have been comforted”.

You see the world would have us believe that those in need of comfort do not have the grace to comfort anyone, but this is not the case.

I am beginning now to see, that all of the comfort that I have given to people is an overflow of the comfort that God has poured upon my wounds, the love that I have for many is an overflow of my cup that he has filled with love. My friends, I beg you see that every word I share is an overflow of his word that pumps into my heart, for these blessed moments (just like now), when I cannot hold it in anymore, when the word of God will not be contained and I begin to write it down and tell who will hear, and the word of God goes forth.

And I see now that these hurts and wounds and obstacles are the means through which God is exalted in my life, for were I never in need of comfort, it will never flow out of me, were I never in need of love…


A God of love set the earth into orbit. The same God who gives us life and a heartbeat...

Through my needs and weaknesses he creates abundance immeasurable in the accounting of it. I want you to know that I have been fortunate enough to see the end of myself. I have seen the extent of my strength, and it is not very far at all. I have caught a glimpse of how I begin to fall when I do not lean on the rock of my salvation. I have seen how dependent upon Jesus I become for every single thing.
We need to get to this point; and when we do we need to surrender and let him fill us to the point of overflow. Because it is this overflow that is grace to us and those around us.

I will show you something that God revealed to me:

In Luke Chapter 7 between verses 19 and 23, the bible tells us that John the Baptist sends his disciples to Jesus asking “Art thou he that should come? Or should we look for another?” They wanted to know if Jesus was the messiah. Jesus did not say yes or no my friends. This is what he did: The bible says that in that same hour he cured many of diseases and plagues, and cured many of evil Spirits; as he also gave sight to the blind. Then turning to them he said “Go your way, and tell John what things ye have seen and heard; how that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, to the poor the gospel is preached. And blessed is he, whosever shall not be offended in me

Friends, Jesus did not need to say yes or no. He simply told them to go and tell of what they have seen because the fruits were in his deeds. The overflow of our lords blessed cup was sweeping across the lives of those who were around him.

It is important that our cups overflow. There are those who would rather keep their cup full than let it flow out. They keep the word that they hear between their ears, but do not share. They keep their blessings to themselves. I used to study the word of God and keep all I learned to myself; I only began to experience great revelations when I began to show others what God was saying to me.

Now my cup overflows. Know that I am not ashamed-no, but proud to say that I cannot stand without Jesus. I cannot help myself. But out of such need he pours out his spirit in abundance, and my cup overflows. And the fruits of this overflow are evident in our deeds: The sick are healed, those who are suffering are comforted, the dead are raised; and the poor in body and spirit are preached unto.

I want you to take a minute of your time to think about what this overflow means for you. Think of those around you, and how they can benefit from your presence in their lives if you can open up your heart and let God fill you to the overflowing of your cup.

He will do it. He is a beautiful God who loves us. The bible calls him the defender of the brethren; he loves you and will hear you when you sincerely cry out: Fill my cup lord.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home